August 10, 2010

Summer Vegetable Frittata


Has it really been a week since my last post? I have had good intentions of getting a few more recipes up this week, but it seems time got the best of me. I started my new job at the bakery last week, and since then I feel like time has not been on my side. Don't get me wrong, I like working (well as much as I can) it is just totally different after having Emory. I only work about 15 hours a week, and that is about all I can handle away from him. Anyways, this week has been a bit of a blur because the second I get home from work, my focus is Emory. I am consumed in teaching him new words to sign, how to eat with a fork, and how to finally use a new sippy cup! I say this (consumed) because I love it! I love being consumed in all things Emory. It just makes having a job bittersweet, because I am so happy to be making a little extra money for us for France, but I do miss Emory every single second I am gone. So that is why I have not made it to this blog this week. But, I have been working on my cookbook a bit (hopefully it will be done in 2 months!), and I have been testing out a few new recipes. I made some owl cupcakes for a friend on mines one year old son's birthday. Happy birthday Toby!
(Kendra and Mark took this picture at Toby's birthday)

I also made some sundried tomato pesto, but the camera battery died and this is the only picture I got. I will remake it this week I think, and post this recipe because it was delicious.

And lastly, here is the Frittata I made this week. I hadn't planned on posting this (frittatas are kind of a staple for us around here) because honestly I was too tired to think about taking pictures, but then when I sat down to taste it, I changed my mind. I am sorry there are not other pics for this one, but the process is really easy to make, and it is just so dang good. I think we just had it with some good Wheatberry toast.

Summer Vegetable Frittata
I used a random selection of veggies I had on hand, but you can honestly use any and every veggie you have in your fridge. It is my favorite way to use up every bit and piece of veggie that needs used. 
Serves 4
6 eggs, beaten
2 cups chopped veggies (I used bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, and asparagus)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup frozen or fresh spinach (use 2 cups if fresh)
1/2 to 1 cup cottage cheese (I used about 3/4 cup, but you can use more or less for your taste)
salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle a large non-stick skillet with olive oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Add in onion and veggies, and saute for a few minutes until they just soften. Season with salt and pepper. Grease a 9-10 inch shallow baking dish. Add in softened veggies. Pour beaten eggs over veggie mix. With a spoon, dollop the cottage cheese all over the top of the eggs. Bake in oven 20-30 minutes until the eggs are cooked and set. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing. And thats all! Now you can eat..

9 comments:

  1. looks delicious - and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I do something similar with ricotta, but have limited my ingredients (not sure why) to spinach, onion and when I feel crazy roasted red peppers. lol I am going to whip this up for lunch now that my kids are back in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful. I'd have to eat the whole thing by myself though. :-)
    Too many veggies for my picky family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love summer frittatas and I have a huge container of cottage cheese sitting here staring at me! I guess I know what I will making next.
    Your blog is very nice! Found you on tastespotting.
    Stacey Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely tried this out and it went really well. I've made it my mission to become a more sophisticated chef and I started by stealing this recipe from you. Amazing! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear that someone tried it out and it turned out so well! Frittata's are a family favorite..So easy to make, not to mention cheap! Also, thanks for all the encouraging words, it means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this one last night. I didn't have spinach, so it wasn't as green, but I added lots of other veggies to it. This is how it turned out:

    http://i36.tinypic.com/21loksp.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfectly simple, inexpensive. Thanks for posting! http://instagre.at/#/by/alchemistartist/256445481987585065_24422028

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much for this great article;this is the stuff that keeps me going through out these day. french toast recipe

    ReplyDelete